My quest continues to find the healthiest, no sugar, desserts. I’m still off the sugar, and doing pretty good. No cheats, yet! These are seriously the best darn lemon bars I’ve ever had. My husband loved them too. My girlfriend, Angela, who happens to be guiding me through this whole process, sent me this recipe. By the way, if you happen to be in the Omaha area, you can find her services here, and she is well worth every penny. Trust me! Not only is she a personal trainer, she knows the ins and outs of nutrition. I wanted to share this recipe, because, well, it’s the bomb!!!
- 2 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 cup finely shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 egg white
For the filling:
- 3 eggs + 2 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (about 2 lemons)
- 1/3 cup almond flour
sprinkle with coconut flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Line a 9×5 loaf pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium sauce pan melt the coconut oil over medium heat. Add the honey, shredded coconut, almond flour, and salt and mix until well combined.
- Remove from heat and add egg whites (save yolk for something later) and stir.
- Add mixture to loaf pan and firmly press down. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for the filling add eggs to a large bowl and beat until frothy. Add remaining ingredients and beat for an additional 2 minutes.
- Pour filling over baked crust and bake for about 20-25 minutes or until center is set.
- Let the bars cool completely before serving. Cut into squares and top with powdered sugar or coconut flour.
- Store in an air tight container in the fridge for 4 days.
My picture is not the best, but you’re lucky they lasted long enough to even get a picture. Ha!